Tuesday, February 24, 2015

My Chacha is Gay : It's been a whole YEAR!!


My Chacha is Gay from Eiynah NM on Vimeo.


Wow. I cannot believe how quickly this past year with Chacha has flown by. Mostly because my life has been a whirlwind of interviews, articles and discussions. A lot of them focused on Chacha and LGBT issues in South Asian communities.

This time last year I put up what I thought to be an unpublishable children's book, because simply, one does not mix anything but married heterosexuality and Pakistan. The response I received from the world was overwhelming and hugely supportive. I began my journey to crowdfund  the publishing. It was a success! With the largest contributions coming from Pakistan. I thank you all for supporting the project and making it such a success.

***

We often write places like Pakistan off, and say they simply are not ready to accept things outside of the religious norm. But if this past year has proven anything, it's the fact that Pakistanis are just as ready as anywhere else to accept things like the modern notion of 'family'.... With a few roadblocks of course. But it is up to us to push the boundaries set in centuries past.

Below is an infographic I put together, documenting Chacha's eventful year!




And here are a few of the photos I received from lovely people all over the world, that purchased the book! 

Photo courtesy of Ali Sajid Imami

Photo courtesy of Louella Harley

Photo courtesy of Karina Schoene

Photo courtesy of Munr Saadt

So that's been our journey this past year! Hopefully there are more exciting things to come. 

I am also excited to announce that I have received my first ever Chacha Fan Fiction! Which I will be putting up shortly in the next day or two!

Feel free to submit your own #ChachaFanFic, photo or fan art to me at nicemangosDOTblogATgmailDOTcom - just remember that Chacha is a children's book character so it can't be sexual, political, religious. Meet those requirements, make it kick ass, and I'll share it on the blog! :D 

Anyhoo, thank you once again for all your love and support! It has meant a lot. 

-E xx 


No comments:

Post a Comment